Job Title: Housing Advisor
Location: Schenectady, NY Job Description
Reports to: Housing Counseling Program Manager
Better Community Neighborhoods, Inc.(BCNI)seeks a motivated mortgage/housing/financial professional to assist customers to become financially sound, empower clients to transition into sound, affordable mortgage products, and help them prepare for their financial future.
The Homeownership Advisor will conduct group education classes and workshops, do financial assessments, and provide one-on-one counseling. The Homeownership Advisor will assist customers to increase savings, reduce debts, improve credit, and budget effectively. This position requires the use of independent judgment and decision-making skills.
•Manage a caseload of financial capability counseling, pre-purchase, and foreclosure clients
• Work with clients on a one-on-one basis to provide education, guidance, and referrals tailored to each client’s unique circumstances.
•Provide individualized credit counseling services
•Develop and assist clients with action plans to help them meet their goals
•Use Coaching approach when addressing the client’s goals
•Available to the client throughout the home buying and foreclosure process to address any problems or answer any questions that may arise
•Enter notes into Housing Counseling Database such as Launchpad
•Create, maintain, and update client files regularly
•Maintain workload reports
•Outreach to community groups and conduct presentations, about housing topics and BCNI programs.
•Complete follow-up paperwork from classes, including certificates and communication with referring partners.
•Build relationships with lenders, realtors, and other professionals to develop referral sources.
•Obtain and keep HUD certification as a Housing Counselor within 24 months
•Obtain and keep NCHEC certification in at least two disciplines, pre-purchase and foreclosure within 12 months
•Perform additional duties as assigned by management
•All duties include the above but not limited to
• BA/BS degree in a related field OR
• At least two (2) years’ experience in real estate, lending, or related area AND two (2) years of experience working with people in need of assistance OR
• An equivalent combination of training and experience1677 VanVraken Avenue Schenectady, NY 12308 (518) 372-7616
• Ability to perform duties in a confidential manner
• Detail-oriented with the ability to organize complex material in a clear and concise manner
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
• Demonstrated ability to work with others in establishing goals and objectives
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to structure and convey information for a large group in a manner that is engaging and approachable.
• Ability to effectively communicate and work with individuals from diverse backgrounds and experience
• Demonstrated skill in organizing time and prioritizing workload
• Basic knowledge of the Mediation program requirements and timelines
• Good working knowledge of the components of a housing counseling program
• Good working knowledge of the home buying process
• Knowledge of lending products and various homeowner assistance programs
• Ability to compare financial information
• Ability to calculate loan rates/terms and affordability
• Ability to use salesforce platforms such as launchpad
• Bilingual competence preferred
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week to be performed on-site. The Housing Advisor must be available to work flexible hours to accommodate the needs of clients. The Housing Advisor will be required to travel to attend training and maintain certifications.
Commensurate with experience