Job Title: Intake Specialist
Location: Schenectady, NY
Reports to: Director of Housing Counseling
Better Community Neighborhoods, Inc. (BCNI) seeks a motivated customer service professional with a
background in lending, housing, and or finance to assist customers to become financially sound,
empower clients to transition into affordable mortgage products, and help them prepare for their
The Intake Specialist is primarily responsible for the initial receipt, data input, and
review of homeownership pre-application packages and determination of applicant qualification for
BCNI’s programs. This position will also provide assistance with applicant questions regarding program
requirements and homebuyer education/orientations. This position requires the use of independent
judgment and decision-making skills.
• Serve as initial point of contact and resource for clients by answering questions and providing high
quality customer service.
• Conduct intake interviews with clients, which include validating clients’ identities, screening for
eligibility, reviewing client application, data input, document collection, and ensuring clients are ready to
proceed in the next step of the process.
• Contact clients to remedy missing or incorrect documents, respond to client messages.
• Support Housing Counselors with operational tasks as needed.
• Protect client confidentiality.
• Complete all specified paid training.
• Enter notes into Housing Counseling Database such as Launchpad or other databases as needed.
• Create, maintain, and update client files regularly per funders regulations
• Maintain workload reports
• Assist with outreach to community groups, homebuyer’s workshops, and conduct presentations,
about housing topics and BCNI programs.
• Complete follow-up paperwork from classes, including certificates and communication with referring
• Other duties as assigned.
• Associates Degree in a related field OR
• At least two (2) years’ experience in real estate, lending, or related area AND two (2) years of
experience working with people in need of assistance OR
• An equivalent combination of training and experience
• Ability to perform duties in a confidential manner
• Detail-oriented with the ability to organize complex material in a clear and concise manner
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
• Demonstrated ability to work with others in establishing goals and objectives
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to structure and convey information for a large group in a manner that is engaging and
• Ability to effectively communicate and work with individuals from diverse backgrounds and
• Demonstrated skill in organizing time and prioritizing workload
• Working knowledge of the components of a housing counseling program
• Working knowledge of the home buying process
• Knowledge of lending products and various homeowner assistance programs
• Ability to use salesforce platforms such as launchpad
• Bilingual competence preferred
This is a Full-time position, 40 hours per week to be performed on-site. The Intake Specialist must be
available to work flexible hours to accommodate the needs of clients. The Intake Specialist may be
required to travel to attend training and maintain certifications.
Commensurate with experience